How long do syphilis symptoms last?

Symptoms from syphilis can last a lifetime if not treated. The first symptom is usually a painless papule (bump) in the genitalia that turns into an ulcer. If not treated, the infection can remain in the body and cause an illness with rash and many other complaints several months later. If it remains untreated, the infection can affect your brain and spinal cord later in life.
Jill A. Grimes, MD
Family Medicine

Primary syphilis usually breaks out about 3 weeks after exposure but can range from 9 to 30 days after exposure.

The chancre will last from 3 to 6 weeks and then will disappear with or without treatment. The infection will persist even when the ulcer leaves, unless antibiotics are used. The rash of secondary syphilis occurs 2 to 10 weeks after the chancre appears, often after the chancre is completely gone. The rash will disappear without treatment but often recurs. Again, the infection will persist unless antibiotics are given.

Seductive Delusions: How Everyday People Catch STDs

Anyone can catch a sexually transmitted disease. STDs are widespread in all walks of life, regardless of gender, race, social status, or education. Seduced into complacency by the notion that "it...

Continue Learning about STDs

Is it Healthy to Groom the Hair Down There?
One of the most famous point-shaving scandals of all time involved a handful of underworld bookies, gangsters, and the 1978–79 Boston College basketba...
How does gonorrhea affect newborns?
Gonorrhea can be transmitted during birth and therefore affect newborns. Fetuses with gonorrhea may ...
What can I do if treatment for trichomoniasis fails?
Up to 10% of women do not respond to standard treatment for trichomoniasis; for those who fail treat...
Dr. Diane Harper - Could I have human papillomavirus (HPV) even if my pap test was normal?