Why should I tell my friends and family about my health and fitness plan?

You're more likely to actually reach your health, wellness, and fitness goals if you share these goals with family and friends. It makes you accountable for your actions. Be proud of your goals and become a positive influence for your loved ones. Research has proven that individuals who share their goals have a greater chance of success. Post your goals on the refrigerator, bathroom mirror and other visible places to remind you and others of your fitness goals.

Dr. Vonda Wright, MD
Orthopedic Surgery
You are more likely to stick with a health and fitness plan if you are held accountable by your friends. When I am going to run a big race, I have to keep myself accountable to train by actually paying the money and registering for the race far ahead of time, then I tell everybody in my life I'm going to do it. It becomes a topic of conversation -- people ask me about it, and some people even end up joining me.

Think of at least five people you are going to tell about your plans and then tell them. Ask them to join you. If you belong to a book club, get everyone involved.
Dr. Vonda Wright's Guide to Thrive: 4 Steps to Body, Brains, and Bliss

Dr. Wright unfolds her Guide to Thrive by preparing readers for six remarkable months of body, brains, and bliss transformation, using her framework of the four practical steps. As a scientist and...

Continue Learning about Staying Motivated For Fitness & Exercise

Are You a Sitting Duck?
Are You a Sitting Duck?
Movie mavens brag about watching Fanny and Alexander—over five hours long—and West of the Tracks for nine plus. But they’re bested by intrepid fans wh...
Why should I exercise with a partner?
F. Michael Gloth, IIIF. Michael Gloth, III
An exercise partner can help you stay motivated, even if your partner can't make it to every session...
How can I stay motivated to be physically active over time?
Dr. Michelle Cleere - Sharecare Fitness Expert, PhDDr. Michelle Cleere - Sharecare Fitness Expert, PhD
Keeping your motivation to exercise can be difficult but there are a couple of things that can help ...
How can exercising with other people help me exercise more?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
It can help to exercise with other people. We often feel more responsibility to others than we d...