How can sports injuries be prevented in my child?

The summer is fast approaching and sports players will soon fill the courts, fields, greens and trails looking to get back in shape and practice their game. However, this also means there are plenty of opportunities for cuts and bruises, ankle sprains, muscle strains, and knee injuries, to name a few.

Drs. Levine and Ranawat give a few simple tips for preventing sports injuries:

• Start slow. You are probably not in the same condition that you were last summer; new activities require muscles and joints to respond in new ways. This may result in minor soreness that could develop into something more serious if you push yourself too hard.
  • Warm up. Get your blood pumping to those under-used muscles and joints before you begin, and do some gentle stretching once you are done. This will help you retain and improve flexibility.
  • Take breaks. Every so often it is recommended that you rest the body parts that are working hard and are susceptible to injury—even tennis pros rest between sets.
  • Listen to your body. Don't ignore the little aches and pains you feel in your joints and muscles because they may help you prevent serious injuries.

Continue Learning about Sports Medicine

How can I prevent sports and exercise injuries?
St Francis Medical CenterSt Francis Medical Center
To prevent injuries while exercising, focus on strength and balance workouts. Research shows that wo...
How can I prevent ankle injuries when I play sports?
Maintaining the strength and awareness of the feet and ankle muscles is the best way to prevent inju...
Dehydration / Douglas Cutter, MD, CAQSM
Dehydration / Douglas Cutter, MD, CAQSM
Ankle Sprains (High and Low) / Douglas Cutter, MD, CAQSM