Why can blocking with the head in football cause a neck injury?

The neck is slightly bent when a football player leads with the head to block or tackle. In this position, the bones and ligaments cannot absorb as much force. This makes it easier for bone or spinal cord injury to happen.

(This answer provided for NATA by the University of Alabama Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Sports Injuries

Ways to Prevent Sports Injuries in Kids and Teens
What do football Hall-of-Fame running back Jim Brown, baseball Hall-of-Fame pitcher Sandy Kofax and NBA championship player and coach Pat Riley have i...
How important is rehabilitation if I have a sports injury?
Dr. Kristofer J. Jones, MDDr. Kristofer J. Jones, MD
If you have a sports injury, supervised rehabilitation is extremely important to the overall recover...
When should I see a doctor about a sports injury?
Rose Medical CenterRose Medical Center
You should see a doctor about a sports injury if you’re experiencing extreme pain, significant swell...
What Causes Hip Pain?
What Causes Hip Pain?