What is the risk of injury from a horse accident?

Jeanne Morrison, PhD
Family Medicine
The risk of injury does not usually involve expertise but is related to cumulative exposure.   Those riders who ride six or more times a year have reported a 13% lifetime rate of being hospitalized.  It has been averaged that the injury rate is 0.4-0.6 per 1,000 riding hours.  The answer to safe riding is to accept this reality and protect yourself while riding a horse.

Continue Learning about Sports Injuries

A 20-Minute Warm Up Could Be the Difference Between Injury and Performance
A good warm up pre-workout is something most people skip, but science says you should make time for it. If rolling your ankle or tweaking your shoulde...
Can my family doctor treat my sports injury?
Dr. George T. Stollsteimer, MDDr. George T. Stollsteimer, MD
If you experience a major sports injury while you're out playing basketball or jogging, often you’ll...
How is tennis elbow diagnosed?
Tennis elbow is often diagnosed after a physical exam and history consistent with repetitive motion ...
How Can Runners Prevent Injury?
How Can Runners Prevent Injury?