How chronic a condition is tennis elbow?

Most of the time tennis elbow (lateral epicondylitis) does not become a chronic condition. Most of the time, it will go away on its own.

General treatments of tennis elbow include stopping the activity that provokes it and using ice and anti-inflammatory medications to bring down the discomfort.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified health care provider.

Continue Learning about Sports Injuries

Ways to Prevent Sports Injuries in Kids and Teens
What do football Hall-of-Fame running back Jim Brown, baseball Hall-of-Fame pitcher Sandy Kofax and NBA championship player and coach Pat Riley have i...
How do I know if I need treatment for a sports injury?
Memorial Hospital of TampaMemorial Hospital of Tampa
Evaluation of your pain over time can help you decide if you need treatment for a sports injury. Cer...
What can I do for golfer's elbow?
Karen L. Gorton, PhD, MS, RNKaren L. Gorton, PhD, MS, RN
After activity, you should ice the area for 20 minutes. This will decrease the inflammation and slow...
What Causes Hip Pain?
What Causes Hip Pain?