How chronic a condition is tennis elbow?

Most of the time tennis elbow (lateral epicondylitis) does not become a chronic condition. Most of the time, it will go away on its own.

General treatments of tennis elbow include stopping the activity that provokes it and using ice and anti-inflammatory medications to bring down the discomfort.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified health care provider.

Continue Learning about Sports Injuries

The Female Athlete Triad: Who Is At Risk?
In Rush Hour 3, Jackie Chan and Chris Tucker race—and stumble—across Paris trying to protect a French woman from the menace of The Triad (a criminal o...
How can I find a football helmet that will prevent concussions?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
There is no concussion-proof helmet. Helmets are used as a shock absorber but are not complete p...
How do I know if I have golfer's elbow?
Dr. Kristofer J. Jones, MDDr. Kristofer J. Jones, MD
You’ll know you have golfer’s elbow if you have pain localized to the area where the forearm tendons...
How Can Runners Prevent Injury?
How Can Runners Prevent Injury?