What is a hook grip?

The hook grip is a specialized grip used to create a vice like clamp on the bar without any supportive equipment. Just like a normal standard grip with the thumb on the opposite side of the bar from the fingers, the hook grip goes one step deeper by reaching the thumb underneath the bar as far as possible. From here, the thumb goes under and is clamped down by the index and middle finger of that same hand. The friction created by the thumb clamped by the  index and middle finger against the knurled bar secures a much more formidable grip than the standard version. It can create discomfort for people new to the grip. Many lifters utilize tape on the thumbs and chalk to help decrease abrasions on the thumb. The hook grip is used almost universally by Olympic lifters in competition to secure the bar since the use of straps is forbidden.

Continue Learning about Sports & Athletic Performance

How can I help my kids play sports without burning out?
Scripps HealthScripps Health
Playing sports brings many benefits, such as improved fitness and better social skills. But pressure...
How can I assess my side-to-side movement speed for combat sports?
The shark skill test is a great assessment for multiple plane movement, coordination and balance...
How should I pace my next race?
Start with a controlled, slightly easier effort than threshold for the first 3 minutes, then set...
How Important Are Lifestyle Changes for Professional Athletes?