What are advanced core exercises for snow skiing?

Advanced core exercises for snow skiing include medicine ball rotation chest pass and stability ball medicine ball pullover throws. Exercises that involve powerful movements of the core (exercise done with fast speed) are advanced-level core exercises. This type of core training helps teach the body to stabilize and generate force during movements. It is similar to the type of stress the core receives during a ski run. Only use these advanced core exercises when you have mastered the basic and intermediate core exercises. Use the following acute variables to work the core with 1-2 advanced exercises: 2-3 sets of 8-12 repetitions done with an explosive tempo and resting 30 seconds between sets. To perform the medicine ball rotational chest pass, stand with the feet hip-width apart and hold a medicine ball at chest height. Quickly turn and pivot the foot opposite of the side to which you are turning. Once your upper body is turned to the side, explosively push/throw the ball against a wall or to a partner. To perform the stability ball medicine ball pullover throws, lie down in a crunch position on a stability ball. Hold a medicine ball with the hands extended overhead. Explosively perform an abdominal crunch and pull the arms forward throwing the medicine ball against a wall or to a partner. Release the ball at the top of the crunch and follow through with the arms. This should be performed as one fluid movement, not a crunch, then the throw. Both of these exercises should be done fast as possible while maintaining proper technique. As with the basic and intermediate core exercises, make sure to activate the core muscles using the drawing-in manuever and bracing. Drawing-in can be done by bringing the belly button in toward the spine or sucking in the stomach. Bracing is contracting the abs, lower back, and butt muscles at the same time.

Continue Learning about Sports & Athletic Performance

Why do weight lifters wear belts when they work out?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
The belts that weight lifters wear when they work out are used to increase stability in their sp...
How often should I adjust my paces as an athlete?
As athletes get faster, their training paces need to adjust accordingly. What was once a challen...
How can being in love improve my athletic performance?
Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)
Love is the drug for better athletic performance. According to a study from California State Univers...
How can I change directions better?
Changing direction better requires training your body to move efficiently in multiple planes (front,...