What are the steps in teaching the proper technique for the glide shot put?

The first step in throwing the shot put is to remember that the legs, hips, and back do most of the work while the arm applies the finishing push that extends the ball out into the sector. The legs, back, and hips should receive the most amount of training to ensure proper results. When throwing the shot put, the athlete wants to hold the ball like a waiter holds a tray of drinks over their shoulder (hand flat and at shoulder height). The glide shot putter does not want to have any twisting or lateral movements during their throw, it is strictly a linear field event. When executing a standing throw, the athlete should imagine that they are squeezed into a two-foot wide alley (front and back) and rocking forward and backward are the only movements they have available. While holding the shot put like a tray of drinks, the athlete should rock back and forth (left foot to right foot). Just before the left foot hits the ground, the hips and right foot will turn toward the throwing sector and the right shoulder will shrug upwards. When the left foot hits the toe board, the right leg will drive and extend while the throwing arm will do the same. There should be a straight line between the right foot and the right hand upon release. When starting the glide, the athlete should assume the power (standing) position in the back of the ring, as if they were going to execute a standing throw. The athlete will then rotate 90 degrees and face the back of the ring. The shot put will be pressed against the neck, shoulder high, and held directly over the right knee. The athlete will then slightly fall backwards across the ring while simultaneously pushing off with the right foot and have it land directly under the right hip. The standing throw sequence will then take place and the throw will be complete.

Continue Learning about Sports & Athletic Performance

Sports Physicals 101: Who Needs Them and Why
For many students, the back to school routine usually involves seeing their doctor for a yearly checkup. Once kids reach middle school, high school an...
How should I pace my next race?
Start with a controlled, slightly easier effort than threshold for the first 3 minutes, then set...
As a retired athlete, how can I include sports in my life?
Mr. Keith Elmore, NASM Elite TrainerMr. Keith Elmore, NASM Elite Trainer
After retiring from a sport, especially if it was your profession, can leave one dealing with a sens...
What Elements Make an Athlete Extra-Successful?