Is jogging detrimental to my sprinting technique?

If performed in excess, jogging can negate the positive effects of proper sprinting mechanics. The timing of the foot's interaction with the ground is much longer in jogging than with sprinting - this is one of the primary mechanisms that can have negative effects on sprinting mechanics. When our timing is off and we are not interacting with the ground as efficiently as possible, we will decrease stride frequency, which reduces our economy of movement. The developing shoe technology creates more cushioned, supportive shoes providing a forgiving platform for inappropriate foot placement (largely from heel strike or ill-timed pronation) and can negatively influence sprinting technique. Lastly, arm action which is paramount to effective sprinting technique, is a secondary issue when in direct comparison to the casual jogger's gait. As a result, jogging can influence poor mechanics if done too often.

Continue Learning about Sports & Athletic Performance

Are school athletic programs required to have emergency medical protocols?
Regulations vary by state to state, and even from city to city and district to district. Ask your sc...
Are sports coaches a good resource for health and fitness information?
Todd Townes - Sharecare Fitness ExpertTodd Townes - Sharecare Fitness Expert
Sports coaches are generally not the best resource for health and fitness. On occasion, you will fin...
Will my performance training in one sport transfer to other sports?
Jara Soost , NASM Elite TrainerJara Soost , NASM Elite Trainer
Most of the time, in order to get better at your sport, the best method is to play that sport.  Ther...
Where should my eyes be looking when I'm sprinting?
Vision focus is related to optimal body positioning. On the line, some runners will keep their eyes ...