How can I improve my cardio for lacrosse while also trying to add bulk?

Lacrosse demands both conditioning and power.  This means that both cardiovascular training and strength training are very important for most players.  For many, this means they have to continue to add strength and bulk while not reducing their speed or endurance.  Conditioning this type of athlete can be challenging.  The goal during conditioning is to keep it short and at a high intensity.  Your endurance will come more from practice than additional long runs, which will burning too many calories with too few benefits.  The goal of the limited cardiovascular training is to keep it under fifteen minutes in total time, while pushing the intensity and heart rate high for short periods of time (five to thirty seconds), then adding equal amounts of rest until the workload (speed, distance, or watts) starts to decrease. When the workload decreases, it is a sign of fatigue and you need longer breaks (one to two minutes) before repeating.  If you overlook the signs of fatigue, you can set yourself up for overtraining and injuries.

Continue Learning about Sports & Athletic Performance

Preventing Sports-Related Eye Injuries
Preventing Sports-Related Eye Injuries
On February 18, 2009, the point guard for the Phoenix Suns, Amar′e Stoudemire, was poked in the eye by LA Clippers’ forward Al Thornton. The result? A...
How old should my child be before starting sports?
Scripps HealthScripps Health
Starting a child’s sports career at an early age may seem like a smart way to get ahead. But researc...
Calories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer Sports
Calories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer SportsCalories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer SportsCalories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer SportsCalories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer Sports
Learn how many calories top athletes might burn playing these summer games.
Is Peformance Mind-Based or Body-Based?
Is Peformance Mind-Based or Body-Based?