How can I prevent my child from burning out in sports?

Today we are trying to make sure we keep our kids active and healthy.  We want them to be a part of something and obtain the positive traits that sports incorporates into our children.  However, I have found that we also like to start them young and then it kinda snowballs from there.

It is not a bad thing to get our children started young, as they still need to meet milestones for further growth. But once we get into it, we just keep it going. Here are few ways to keep from burnout:
  • Always make sure your child has an off season. Year-round sports can be tiring and lead to injury.
  • Make sure your child is having fun. Once it becomes serious and forced, burnout will happen quickly.
  • Get adequate sleep and rest periods.
  • While I don't recommend being competitive year-round, it is a good idea to mix up the sports you are playing and not focus too much on just one sport.

Enjoy playing your sport, no matter your age.  Keep it fun and enjoy some rest as well.
Check in with your child periodically and make sure there is still enjoyment in the sport. All too often parents excitedly enroll their children in sports, some of which are year-round. Physically, it’s important to make sure your child recovers adequately from each of his or her practice sessions and games. Recover should also be provided mentally, meaning kids have to be allowed to be kids. Allow your child to focus on other things as well, not just sports. This is a will help avoid burnout.

A young athlete is subject to burnout, and this can be a big barrier to further play! The practice and game schedule may be rigorous, and the initial enthusiasm may wane. To prevent burnout:

• Keep your focus (and that of your athlete) on having fun and on being part of a team, not on winning.
  • Be careful to avoid using your young athlete to boost your own self-worth when your child or your child’s team is successful.
  • Support and encourage your child, but stop short of pressuring your child to perform.

Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children

When kids start going on TV binges or devouring fistfuls of cookies, it's easy to say, "They'll grow out of it." More likely, they're acquiring bad habits that could lead to childhood obesity and...

Continue Learning about Sports & Athletic Performance

Fun Way to Get More Steps: Try Walking Football
    We knew Landon Donovan’s career was winding down when he wasn’t named to the last U.S. World Cup Soccer Team. After he retired in 2014 everyone assume...
    What strength training exercise will help my kicking?
    Cecilia Alston , NASM Elite TrainerCecilia Alston , NASM Elite Trainer
    I dabble in martial arts a little bit. I like to use lunge and squat variations for strengthening my...
    Calories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer Sports
    Calories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer SportsCalories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer SportsCalories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer SportsCalories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer Sports
    Learn how many calories top athletes might burn playing these summer games.
    Are Athletes Programmed to Succeed?
    Are Athletes Programmed to Succeed?