How do I improve my flexibility for snow skiing?

If you are trying to improve flexibility, use a combination of foam rolling followed by static stretching. Foam rolling is a form of self-massage that applies pressure with a foam roller to tight areas in the muscle. This breaks up adhesions, or "knots", in the muscle and relaxes the muscle to allow for a better static stretch. Start with foam rolling any tight areas like the IT-band (side of the thigh between the knee and hip), inner thigh, and calves. Apply pressure to the tender areas for 30 seconds. Once you have foam rolled your muscles, perform static stretching which is most effective using 1-3 sets of holds for 30 seconds, moving slowing into and out of the stretch. Static stretching helps change the length of the muscle and increase flexibility. To perform the kneeling hip flexor stretch, place one knee on the ground and the other leg out front, similar to a lunge position with the back knee on the ground. Keep the back flat and chest up as you push your hips forward. You should feel a stretch in the hip flexor area of the leg on the same side as knee that is on the ground. Move slowly into and out of the position and make sure you activate your core by drawing-in the belly button to the spine. To perform the thigh, or quadriceps, stretch, stand up straight and bend one knee. Grab the insole of the foot and pull up toward the glute (butt). Keep both knees together as you pull, you should feel a stretch in the front of the thigh. Make sure you activate your core by drawing-in the belly button to the spine. To perform a static stretch for the inner thigh, begin by sitting on a stability ball. Extend one leg out to the side and keep the other knee bent. Then, lean toward the knee that is bent, keeping the back flat until you feel the stretch in the inner thigh. Again, make sure you activate your core by drawing-in the belly button to the spine.

Continue Learning about Sports & Athletic Performance

Fun Way to Get More Steps: Try Walking Football
We knew Landon Donovan’s career was winding down when he wasn’t named to the last U.S. World Cup Soccer Team. After he retired in 2014 everyone assume...
I need to work on my first-step quickness, any ideas?
Racing is the best way to improve your ability to get off the line. Either against someone else, or ...
Calories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer Sports
Calories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer SportsCalories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer SportsCalories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer SportsCalories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer Sports
Learn how many calories top athletes might burn playing these summer games.
How Precise Can You Fine-Tune an Athlete?