How many days a week should I do cardio in-season for lacrosse?

In-season cardiovascular training for lacrosse is based on how many games you are playing during the week and the intensity of the game.  This can change based on your position and the score of the game.  The general rule is that you should perform two high-intensity cardiovascular training days per week.  If you are playing two games per week with a lot of minutes, you should have enough high-intensity work to maintain cardio strength.  If not, you may need to supplement with some high-intensity intervals for no more than ten to fifteen minutes once a week.  The most important cardio days for players who get a lot of minutes of playing time are the recovery days after a game, working at a low intensity on either a bike, elliptical or even in the pool.  If you are not playing a lot of minutes in the game you, will need to do some additional high-intensity intervals several times a week for ten to fifteen minutes to maintain your cardiovascular strength. Your anaerobic threshold and endurance training should be maintained by normal practice time.

Continue Learning about Sports & Athletic Performance

How often should I train for my sport?
Jay Morgan, NASM Elite TrainerJay Morgan, NASM Elite Trainer
The amount of training needed is dependent on the individual, sport schedule, and specific needs of ...
Is horseback riding a safe sport?
Jeanne Morrison, PhDJeanne Morrison, PhD
Horseback riding is a very popular sport in the United States but it does carry an element of risk. ...
What's the best tip to increasing my total-body quickness?
Breathing can help you increase your total-body quickness. How you breathe when intending quick and ...
Calories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer Sports
Calories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer SportsCalories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer SportsCalories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer SportsCalories Elite Athletes Burn During Summer Sports
Learn how many calories top athletes might burn playing these summer games. By Rose Hayes When you’re an elite athlete with gold medal dreams, calori...