What vegan foods can I prepare for my family?

Vandana  R. Sheth
There are many different choices when it comes to family meals that are vegan. Meatless meals are healthy for all. You can also make slight changes to your current menus to accommodate everyone’s needs. For example, if you plan to make pasta with a meat-based sauce, simply take out some marinara sauce prior to adding meat. Supplement the marinara sauce with crumbled tofu or lentils for added protein for your vegetarian child. When making salads, prior to adding chicken or fish, set some aside and add beans, lentils, seeds, nuts for a vegetarian option. Consider creating more “build your own” version of meals -- taco bar, salad bar, burgers (meat and veggie), so that it is the same meal that is customized individually per dietary preference.

Kathy Freston
Vegan food is very easy to work into your routine: You just find the meals that work for the family and can go into your weekly rotation. Some very simple options include bean burritos, baked beans and veggie sausage, lentil soup, whole grain breads, pizza made with Daiya (cheese made from tapioca) or any other kind of non-dairy cheese, vegetable soups and salads, oatmeal, rice, quinoa (a complete protein grain), and non-dairy milks like rice, almond, oat, or soy. You might also want to check out some meat substitutes like veggie burgers and dogs, etc. Every mainstream grocery store now stocks Morningstar and Boca products, both of which are great transition foods for the new vegan. Best of all, they are well liked by most kids.

Continue Learning about Special Diets

How a Vegetarian Diet Can Affect Your Mental Health
In My Big Fat Greek Wedding, Toula brings her non-Greek fiance Ian to a family get-together, hoping her tight-knit clan will accept him. When Aunt Vou...
What meat and dairy products can I eat on the FODMAP elimination diet?
Patsy CatsosPatsy Catsos
The FODMAPS elimination diet is based on limiting "FODMAPS" in the diet. FODMAPS stands for Fermenta...
What should I know before I try a low salt diet?
Toby SmithsonToby Smithson
Our bodies do need a small amount of salt but we tend to overdo it. Eating too much salt can affect ...
How Effective Is the HCG Diet for Weight Loss?