How can I move toward a vegan diet?

Vandana  R. Sheth
Tips to transition to a vegan diet:

You can do this transition in stages by starting with a few meatless meals/week and gradually easing the animal products out of your diet OR do it all at once. Often, it is easier for people to start by understanding the basics of a healthy vegetarian diet. Consider purchasing books about vegetarian nutrition and recipes to assist you through this process. A registered dietitian specializing in vegetarian nutrition would be a good resource to assess your individual needs and ensure that you are making healthy choices while meeting your nutritional needs.

Start incorporating more whole grains, fruits, vegetables, plant-based proteins such as beans, lentils, tofu in your diet.
Replace the animal protein in your favorite meals for plant protein. A few simple changes could include --
  • Crumbled tofu or ground “soy” meat in place of ground meat in your tacos or meat sauce
  • Tofu in place of meat in stir-fry style entrees
  • Beans in place of chicken in soups
  • Vegetable broth in place of chicken/beef broth
  • Veggie burgers in place of meat burgers
Be creative -- explore ethnic food such as Chinese, Indian food, Mediterranean, Thai, etc. to find more vegetarian options.

Pay attention to nutrition facts labels.

Ensure that you are getting a variety of foods in your diet to adequately meet your nutritional needs. You might need a vitamin B12 supplement if you are on a strictly vegetarian (vegan) diet.

Continue Learning about Special Diets

Flex Your Flexitarian Muscles
Flex Your Flexitarian Muscles
Worldwide, vegetarians overwhelmingly outnumber meat-eaters! According to a study in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, around 4 billion folk...
How Do I Treat Gas and Bloating If I Have Irritable Bowel Syndrome?
How Effective Is the HCG Diet for Weight Loss?
Do Probiotics Have Any Side Effects?
Do Probiotics Have Any Side Effects?