How important is recovery training for soccer players?

Recovery for soccer players is very important because of all the running demands of games and practices. The players are in constant motion, so the strength endurance of their legs and the limited substitutions during games does not allow for the players to sit and rest like other fitness demanding sports like hockey, basketball, or football.  Recovery for soccer players can be in the form of foam rolling, massages, or even low-intensity workouts in a pool to reduce the stress on the legs. Recovery should be done after the workouts to prepare for the next training session. The day after a match should also be used to perform recovery techniques. Recovery is not just limited to the physical demands on the body, but starts with good nutrition after the training session, continues with a balanced diet, and is enhaced with consistent, eight-hour sleeping habits at night.

Continue Learning about Soccer

How much of my leg should be covered by a soccer shin guard?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
In all competitive soccer leagues, it is a requirement for each player to wear shin guards. Alth...
Should I always use a soccer ball when training for soccer?
The first thing to consider is your conditioning (fitness) level. Sprinting is a high-intensity ...
Is soccer an aerobic or anaerobic sport?
There have been many debates on how to train soccer players for years. Traditional theorists ins...
Which style of shin guard should I use for soccer?
Advanced players prefer the hard, plastic shin guard. They’re lightweight and offer better protectio...