What energy systems am I using during soccer practice?

The energy system demands of soccer practices can vary based on the drills that are done and how many players are on the field at one time. By changing the size of the field or the number of players, you can create a high-intensity workout. Having only 3 to 4 players on a side and practicing on a larger field will allow for more running and ball touches. This will increase the fitness demands of the players and they should be closer to their anaerobic threshold throughout the practice.  Adding players will reduce the intensity which keep them in more of an aerobic state. Often, adding players in game-situation drills rarely  taps into their higher anaerobic systems and do not match real game scenarios when exhaustion set in during the last 10 minutes of a match. To tap into this anaerobic system, additional controlled, short drills will need to be added to the end of practice.

Continue Learning about Soccer

As a soccer player, should I do anything prior to going for a jog?
It is important to incorporate a comprehensive warm-up strategy to prevent injury and maximize p...
Should my warm-up prior to a match be different than my practice warm-up?
Paul WinsperPaul Winsper
The general principles should be consistent between a training day and match day warm up. The need t...
Should soccer players have their linear speed measured?
Straight ahead speed is a valuable skill for a soccer player to possess, so it is always wise to...
What should soccer players do to prevent groin injuries?
Soccer players should perform a comprehensive program including flexibility and strength trainin...