What is the difference between REM and NREM sleep?

Dr. Michael Breus, PhD
Psychology Specialist

REM sleep
Rapid eye movement sleep is one of the deepest of all the stages of sleep. It usually takes up about 25 percent of your sleep time. REM comes in short bursts at first and lasts for only a few minutes but then it gradually stretches into longer time segments. REM is good for your memory. When in REM the brain takes information from the short term memory and moves it to the long term memory. The body is paralyzed at this stage. The eyes will move from side to side very quickly even though they are closed. Heavy dreaming activity is going on. 

NREM sleep
NREM includes all of the stages of sleep other than REM. The body is able to move and the eyes remain still. These stages of sleep vary in depth from stage 1 (lightest) to stage 4 (deepest). Stages 3 and 4 are considered deep sleep and this is where most of the physical restoration occurs. Growth hormone is produced and cellular repair begins in NREM.

Continue Learning about Sleep Basics

Tell Me Why…I Dream
Tell Me Why…I Dream
You’re in class and the teacher announces a surprise test. You haven’t studied, done homework or even been to class for weeks—and you may or may not b...
How can I fit a nap into my day?
Dr. Michael Breus, PhDDr. Michael Breus, PhD
A nap can be the quickest way to reboot your tired brain in the afternoon, charge yourself up for th...
Why is it important to get sufficient sleep?
Your body needs time to rest and regenerate, and getting enough ZZZZs will give you more energy and ...
What's a Good Breathing Exercise to Help Me Sleep?