What are a maxillomandibular osteotomy (MMO) and an advancement (MMA)?

Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics

Osteotomy means "to cut bone." A maxillomandibular osteotomy would be one in which both the upper and lower jaws were sectioned in order to be moved. A mandibular advancement osteotomy would be a surgery in which the lower jaw is surgically sectioned and then moved forward. All of these procedures are adjuncts to orthodontic treatment and are used because braces alone cannot correct malocclusions that are due to poor underlying jaw structure.

Continue Learning about Sleep Apnea Treatment

How can I prevent a CPAP machine from interfering with sex?
Dr. Michael Breus, PhDDr. Michael Breus, PhD
My answer (and I don’t think this is all that revolutionary): schedule sex before bringing out the C...
What is an apnea monitor?
An apnea monitor tracks breathing and heartrate. Apnea is when an individual stops breathing. A home...
Is There a Mouthpiece That Helps with Sleep Apnea?
Should I Be Worried About My Snoring?
Should I Be Worried About My Snoring?