How can I alleviate sleep apnea?

Craig L. Schwimmer, MD
Ear, Nose & Throat (Otolaryngology)
Weight loss, alcohol avoidance, controlling reflux (heartburn), and appropriate sleep positioning are the things that the patient can controll. Beyond that, your doctor can recommend treatment options ranging from devices (such as CPAP and oral appliances), to minimally invasive, office based treatments (such as the Pillar Procedure), all the way to aggressive surgical approaches.
Want another incentive to embrace a good eating plan? Most people will lose fat first is in their faces and throats, so you'll likely be able to prevent or reduce sleep problems such as sleep apnea by 30 percent fairly early into your weight-loss program.
YOU: On A Diet Revised Edition: The Owner's Manual for Waist Management

For the first time in our history, scientists are uncovering astounding medical evidence about dieting -- and why so many of us struggle with our weight and the size of our waists. Now researchers...

Continue Learning about Sleep Apnea Treatment

Why is it necessary to treat sleep apnea?
Dr. Fred Y. Lin, MDDr. Fred Y. Lin, MD
Like high blood pressure and diabetes, sleep apnea is a chronic disease that can affect the quality ...
What are alternatives to continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP)?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
If for some reason you can't use continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP), your doctor may pre...
Should I Be Worried About My Snoring?
Should I Be Worried About My Snoring?
Is There a Mouthpiece That Helps with Sleep Apnea?