What is the relationship between sleep apnea and weight?

Weight gain can increase your risk for obstructive sleep apnea. The additional fat tissue that develops around your throat as you gain weight can affect breathing by blocking the movement of air through your throat. About half the people who have obstructive sleep apnea are overweight or obese.
If you are overweight or obese, weight loss might help improve or eliminate your sleep apnea symptoms. Overweight people often have thick necks with extra tissue in the throat that may block the airway. There is no guarantee that losing weight will eliminate your sleep apnea, but it may help. This approach is unlikely to make a difference if you have a narrow nasal passage or airway.

This content originally appeared on the American Academy of Sleep Medicine website.
Steven C. Smart, MD
There is a significant relationship between snoring, obstructive sleep apnea and weight. Men with neck size above 18 inches and women with neck size above 16 inches are significantly higher risk for severe snoring and obstructive sleep apnea. It causes narrowing of the airway and enlargement of the base of the tongue. Weight loss can reverse the disease process, correct the obstructive process and treat the dangerous effects on heart disease.

Continue Learning about Sleep Apnea Causes

How is sleep apnea linked to obesity?
Spotsylvania Regional Medical CenterSpotsylvania Regional Medical Center
People who have obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) have periods of sleep that are interrupted by apneas, ...
What are the big risk factors for sleep apnea?
If you don't have a bedmate who can personally witness your breathing breaks during the night, you c...
Does sleeping on my side help if I have sleep apnea?
Some people experience obstructive sleep apnea more frequently while sleeping on their back. Sle...
Should I Be Worried About My Snoring?
Should I Be Worried About My Snoring?