What does a mild cleanser do?

A mild cleanser will get rid of pollutants, oil, dead skin cells and dirt, but it will preserve a healthy layer of natural oil and moisture on the skin.

A mild cleanser helps to preserve skin's natural components, proteins and lipids. These essential building blocks are what keep the outer layer of our skin healthy and hydrated. Mild cleansers often contain cleansing agents called synthetic detergents, or "syndets," which are gentler to skin and help to prevent stripping of natural moisture, as well as help prevent irritation that can cause breakouts. Harsh soaps can aggravate acne-prone skin.

Continue Learning about Skin Cleansing

How often should I wash my face?
In general, you can wash your face up to two times a day, but the actual number depends on your skin...
How do I give myself a "Do-It-Yourself" facial?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
For those on a budget, you can attempt a basic facial in your own home. Gather a towel, bowl, water,...
Why is sodium cocoate a good cleanser?
Sodium cocoate is a type of surfactant. Surfactants are good for cleansing because they have special...
What Are the Health Benefits of Baths?
What Are the Health Benefits of Baths?