What are basic exercises to help with jumping in rollerblading?

Basic exercises to help with jumping are the squat jump with stabilization and the side box jump-ups with stabilization. Plyometric exercise, or jump training, simulates the demands of tricks and teaches your body to cope with impact. Use the following acute variables when performing plyometric training: 1-3 sets of 5-8 repetitions of 1-2 exercises. Use a controlled landing, holding the position you land in for 3-5 seconds. Rest 45 seconds between sets. To perform the squat jumps, engage the core by drawing-in the stomach to the spine, squat down, and then explosively jump up. Land softly in a squat position and hold. Make sure when squatting and landing to keep the back flat, toes straight, and knees in line with the tip of the shoes. To perform the side box jump-ups with stabilization, begin by standing sideways next to a box. Jump on to the box sideways and land softly holding the position. By performing these exercises you will improve your landing mechanics, body alignment, and jumping efficiency.

Continue Learning about Skating

How can I work circuit training into my skating conditioning?
Circuit training is a great way to combine both a cardiovascular and strength training session i...
Will core training help my spins for figure skating?
Diana S, NASM Elite TrainerDiana S, NASM Elite Trainer
Yes!  When someone talks about having a strong core they're referring to the abdominal muscles, lowe...
Where and how should I start in-line skating?
In-line skating should always be started with a partner or instructor. The safest areas to begin...
Do I need to build upper-body strength for skating?
Although most skaters focus tremendously on lower-body strength and conditioning, upper-body strengt...