Will strengthening exercises make a skater bigger?

There are different types of strength which will produce different physiologic changes in a skater. For instance, there is strength endurance which uses moderate weight, less repetitions, and more sets. Strength endurance allows the body to repeat high levels of force for longer periods. Hypertrophy (muscle building) training uses heavy weight and a lot of sets. Maximum strength uses extremely heavy weight with one repetition. Utilizing a strength endurance routine will not necessarily increase size. However, it is necessary for total-body strength and is useful for most sports including skating. Many other factors are involved in the body's ultimate response to training. Some factors that influence results are genetic make-up, the amount of calories ingested, and the utilization and understanding of proper program design. A certifed trainer can help design a routine and ensure success for individual strength needs.

Continue Learning about Skating

What power drill should a skater do for jump training?
A power drill or exercise for jump training is one that includes fast and explosive movements. A sin...
What are advanced exercises to help with balance in rollerblading?
Advanced balance exercises include single-leg box hop-up with stabilization and multiplanar (for...
Do I need to stretch when I am done skating?
Stretching is important after a workout, practice, or competition. The goal of a cool-down, or stret...
How do I strengthen my ankles for rollerblading?
To improve ankle strength and prevent injury it is important to improve proprioception, or the feed ...