Will strengthening exercises make a skater bigger?

There are different types of strength which will produce different physiologic changes in a skater. For instance, there is strength endurance which uses moderate weight, less repetitions, and more sets. Strength endurance allows the body to repeat high levels of force for longer periods. Hypertrophy (muscle building) training uses heavy weight and a lot of sets. Maximum strength uses extremely heavy weight with one repetition. Utilizing a strength endurance routine will not necessarily increase size. However, it is necessary for total-body strength and is useful for most sports including skating. Many other factors are involved in the body's ultimate response to training. Some factors that influence results are genetic make-up, the amount of calories ingested, and the utilization and understanding of proper program design. A certifed trainer can help design a routine and ensure success for individual strength needs.

Continue Learning about Skating

How do I warm-up for rollerblading?
To warm-up for rollerblading, use a combination of foam rolling followed by dynamic stretching. ...
What leg exercises should I do to strengthen my skating?
Strengthening the legs is an important consideration for skating. A program can be implemented to st...
What is the best way to start figure skating without getting injured?
The best way to begin any sport or activity is to get good instruction. Coaches can instruct beg...
Will balance training help my jumps for skating?
Susan Retzlaff, NASM Elite TrainerSusan Retzlaff, NASM Elite Trainer
Balance training involves core development and core development is essential to any sport. It takes ...