What is the best way to start figure skating without getting injured?

The best way to begin any sport or activity is to get good instruction. Coaches can instruct beginners on all of the basics of skating. It is important to create good habits from the start because bad habits are hard to erase. A coach can also tell a parent if a child or beginner has the potential to continue. Not all bodies are made for all sports. For example, a person under five feet tall does not usually experience success while playing basketball. If figure skating is done purely for enjoyment, it is still necessary to get good instruction to prevent injuries. If skating is taken more serioulsy, other coaches, trainers, and classes should be considered to increase skills and lessen the chance of injury.

Continue Learning about Skating

How do I warm-up for rollerblading?
To warm-up for rollerblading, use a combination of foam rolling followed by dynamic stretching. ...
What power drill should a skater do for jump training?
A power drill or exercise for jump training is one that includes fast and explosive movements. A sin...
Will I get strength and conditioning training from my skating coach?
This depends on the individual coach and the program in which you participate. Usually, on-ice condi...
How can I work circuit training into my skating conditioning?
Circuit training is a great way to combine both a cardiovascular and strength training session i...