What kind of warm-up should I do before skating?

Foam rolling, or self-massage on a foam roller, is a great tool to begin a skating warm-up. This can help reduce muscle knots and soreness, and ready the body for stretching, which is the next part of the warm-up. A qualified instructor can help with what types of stretching to do. After stretching, dynamic movements like lunges, push-ups, and squats can be done to finish the warm-up phase. It is important to maintain proper technique throughout the entire warm-up.

Continue Learning about Skating

Will the right boots help my skating ability?
Proper boots and boot fitting is mandatory not only for skating ability, but also for preventing inj...
Can strength and conditioning help my skating spins?
Strength and conditioning is an important component to enhance all skills in figure skating. During ...
What will cardio training do to help my ice skating?
With the emphasis on skaters performing more technical jumps, spins, pairs, dance lifts, and oth...
Will I get strength and conditioning training from my skating coach?
This depends on the individual coach and the program in which you participate. Usually, on-ice condi...