Can I do a dynamic stretch before skating?

Dynamic stretching is encouraged prior to activity such as skating as long as no compensations or postural distortions are present. Dynamic stretching uses strength and momentum to take the joints of the body through a full range of motion. Muscles should be flexible and have good control from the core. An example of a dynamic stretch is tube walking side to side. To perform tube walking side to side, place a resistance band around the lower legs, stand with feet hip-width apart, knees relaxed, and feet facing forward. With the abdominals in, step out sideways and then back in to the hip-width stance repeatedly for 10 steps. Ensure that the knees do not cave inward and the feet remain straight ahead.

Continue Learning about Skating

Will balance skills help my skating?
Balance skills are an important part of a performance training program, and can enhance skating ...
How can I strengthen my legs for rollerblading?
To improve leg strength for rollerblading, use supersets of strength and stabilization exercises...
What kind of warm-up should I do before skating?
Foam rolling, or self-massage on a foam roller, is a great tool to begin a skating warm-up. This can...
Can kettlebell training enhance my skating endurance?
Kettlebell training has become a very popular tool for athletes to use as part of the their performa...