What will cardio training do to help my ice skating?

With the emphasis on skaters performing more technical jumps, spins, pairs, dance lifts, and other elements on-ice, the need for off-ice strength and conditioning training has increased.  Skaters are performing more programs and competing more frequently throughout the year.  Conditioning on cardio equipment will help develop the leg strength and cardiovascular system while reducing overuse injuries. Through short interval work you can build speed and power, which will help with jumps and landings. The cardiovascular benefits will help during a long season to maintain the endurance that is needed to train and perform.

Continue Learning about Skating

What are beginning exercises for improving balance for rollerblading?
Beginning balance exercises for rollerblading are the single-leg Romanian deadlift exercise and ...
How can I avoid injury during in-line skating?
It is advisable to receive proper instruction to attain basic skills and techniques first. A certifi...
What skills enhance my strength for skating?
Resistance training that targets stability and strength are important to enhance skating ability...
What kind of warm-up should I do before skating?
Foam rolling, or self-massage on a foam roller, is a great tool to begin a skating warm-up. This can...