How does sexual arousal affect breathing?

Emily Nagoski
Emily Nagoski on behalf of Good In Bed

As people grow increasingly aroused, first their breath will deepen and their respiration rate will increase, like they’ve been running, then they’ll begin to hold their breath as their muscles clench rhythmically. This is a necessary and universal predecessor to orgasm. You’ll hear rhythmic gaspy-chuffy noises and see their bellies rise and fall sharply with the sounds. Don’t mistake noisy for intense. Many people are nearly silent at orgasm. When a person goes all quiet and still but is tense, that’s a sign of a high level of arousal.

The Good in Bed Guide to Female Orgasms

The Good in Bed Guide to Female Orgasms

Want to learn how to achieve 487 different kinds of orgasms?If so, you’re reading the wrong guidebook. Despite what many in the media would have you believe, there’s no such thing as a rainbow...

Continue Learning about Sex and Relationships

What Do I Need to Know About Over-the-Counter Lubricants or Moisturizers to Treat Vaginal Dryness?
What Do Men Want During Sex?
What Do Men Want During Sex?
How Can I Pinpoint Why My Libido Is Low?
How Can I Deal With Performance Anxiety?