question

Do penis enlargement devices increase penis size?

Madeleine M. Castellanos, MD
Madeleine M. Castellanos, MD on behalf of Good In Bed
Psychiatry
answer
Today, you can't open your email inbox or turn on the television without hearing about some sexual enhancement product for men. And while these ads promise the world, no product has been scientifically proven to safely and permanently increase penis size, whether an herbal remedy, topical gel, or exercises. Surgical procedures to increase the length or girth of the penis are extremely risky and associated with the development of scar tissue, which can lead to painful erections, shorter erections, or erectile dysfunction. Some men turn to penis pumps and penis rings ("cock rings") to temporarily increase the size of an erection by drawing more blood into the penis.

Although these products may help some men to temporarily feel like they have a fuller erection, a pump can only fill the space that already exists, but doesn't make that space any larger. If a man uses the pump too long trying to increase the size of his erection, he many create too much pressure, which can cause lasting tissue and vascular damage. Likewise, a cock ring will help maintain an erection, but won't make it larger. It's important to remember that a cock ring should never be left on for more than 20 minutes and should be removed if there is any discomfort or bruising.

There are several different mechanical enlargers out there, all based on the same basic design. These actually strap on to the penis just below the glans and rest against the body and the pubic bone. Then the enlarger is lengthened so that it stretches the penis between it. Although some men have experienced some lengthening of their penis using this method, there is no appreciable difference (and sometimes a decrease in) width. These extenders take a very long time to have any effect, sometimes from 6 months to over a year, and have to be worn every day for most of the time. They have to be used very slowly because any faster stretching can cause internal tears that result in scar tissue formation. In fact, scar tissue is one of the worrisome side effects that a man can experience from using these. When weighing the risks and benefits, there is usually very little justification for using these.

Continue Learning about Sex and Relationships

Understanding the Emotional Side of Sexual Dysfunction
There’s no doubt that sex and emotion can be intertwined. For starters, your mental state has a lot to do with your interest in sex. You probably know...
Sexually Transmitted Diseases Continue to Rise in the U.S.
The number of some sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) in America hit an all-time high in 2021 during the COVID-19 pandemic, according to the Centers...
What causes urination during intercourse?
What causes urination during intercourse? The loss of urine during sexual intercourse could be cause...
If my erection is soft, does that mean I have erectile dysfunction?
If my erection is soft, does that mean I have erectile dysfunction? Soft erections do not mean a guy...