In most cases, sciatica is caused by a nerve root being compressed by a herniated disk located in your lower back. In rare circumstances, the herniated disk may be compressing nerves that affect your control over bladder or bowel function. When this occurs, you may also notice a tingling sensation or numbness around your genital area or groin. This is a medical emergency, so see a doctor immediately.
- Q Will bed rest help my sciatica?
- Q What is a sciatic nerve?
- Q Can sciatica caused by spine problems reoccur multiple times?
- Q What are good exercises for sciatic pain caused by a herniated disc?
- Q Are there alternative treatments for sciatica?
- Q Is it safe to run if I have sciatica?