In most cases, sciatica is caused by a nerve root being compressed by a herniated disk located in your lower back. In rare circumstances, the herniated disk may be compressing nerves that affect your control over bladder or bowel function. When this occurs, you may also notice a tingling sensation or numbness around your genital area or groin. This is a medical emergency, so see a doctor immediately.
- Q Will bed rest help my sciatica?
- Q What is the treatment of sciatic nerve pain?
- Q What can I do if epidural injections have not helped my sciatica?
- Q What is sciatica?
- Q What is a natural way to ease pain from sciatica?
- Q Is it possible to predict the outcome of a diskectomy for my sciatica?