In most cases, sciatica is caused by a nerve root being compressed by a herniated disk located in your lower back. In rare circumstances, the herniated disk may be compressing nerves that affect your control over bladder or bowel function. When this occurs, you may also notice a tingling sensation or numbness around your genital area or groin. This is a medical emergency, so see a doctor immediately.
- Q What is a sciatic nerve?
- Q Is it possible to predict the outcome of a diskectomy for my sciatica?
- Q Will bed rest help my sciatica?
- Q Is it safe to run if I have sciatica?
- Q What is the proper way to stretch to help relieve my sciatica?
- Q How does sciatica affect the body?