When do I start a conditioning program to prepare for rugby season?

Depending on where you live, rugby is either a spring or a fall sport. You should start a strength and conditioning program in between seasons. Be sure to give yourself a few weeks off between the final rugby event and beginning your strength and conditioning program. This will provide your body with ample rest and enough time for you to ready yourself for the upcoming season. Be mindful if you are a multi-sport athlete and competing in other sports during your rugby off-season. You want to make sure you are competing at the highest level in your other sports and not over-training with a strength and conditioning program. If you are only participating in rugby, then approach your strength and conditioning program with great intensity. A lot of your success for the next season will be determined by the work and effort you put into your strength and conditioning program. Waiting too late and being inactive and sedentary for months prior to your season can be detrimental to your performance, and at worst, lead to an unwanted injury during the season. The strength and conditioning program will ready you for the upcoming season giving you the most potential for success.

Continue Learning about Rugby

Are there any good ways to loosen up my calves for rugby?
Foam roll and stretch to help loosen up your calves and help them recover in between rugby pract...
What is the best cardio exercise for a rugby player?
The best cardio exercises for a rugby player are sprints and intervals on the field which will t...
How do I improve my ability to produce power quickly for rugby?
Generating power very quickly is extremely important for reactive sports like rugby. A great exercis...
How should I warm-up for a rugby game?
Warming-up before a game should only be slightly modified compared to daily rugby practice and train...