Why is performance training important for rugby athletes?

Rugby is one of the fastest growing sports in the United States and many more athletes are getting involved in it than did several years ago. With the interest in the sport increasing and more athletes getting involved, the athletic demand, competitiveness, and speed of the game continue to grow. As these components of the game progress, so do the chances of injury. To prevent injury and increase performance, it is important to engage in a training program. Improving your speed, agility, quickness, stability, strength, and power is a necessity for any player. A-well designed performance training program can improve the aforementioned abilities and the length of a rugby player's career.

Continue Learning about Rugby

How can I train if I have a shoulder injury and cannot play rugby?
First, be sure to check in with your medical staff if you are performing additional work outside of ...
What can I do in rugby training to help me recover faster between bursts?
To decrease your recovery time, you should add similar game demands into your conditioning training....
Should I eat before rugby practice?
It is important to get food and nutrients into your body before practice.  You should eat a...
Should I complete sprints or long distance runs to get ready for rugby?
Rugby is a multi-directional sport that requires athletes to accelerate, decelerate, and change dire...