What is the best way to approach my upper-body strength for rugby?

When addressing upper-body strength for rugby, you want to make sure you maintain a good balance between your pushing and pulling muscles. For every pushing exercise, you should do a pulling exercise. Over-development of one group can lead to movement compensations and eventual injury. Keep a 1:1 ratio of pushing and pulling movements in your resistance training program by split setting your workouts. It’s a fast and efficient way move through a workout quickly. To do a split set, simply perform a pushing exercise, and follow it with a pulling exercise. For example, perform bench presses followed by rows. By doing this you ensure that you are maintaining muscular balance through your upper body.

Continue Learning about Rugby

Should I do any training the day before a rugby game?
You can, but make sure you don't overdo it. Keep the volume of your workout low, use light weigh...
How varied should rugby pre-season training be from in-season?
Pre-season training for rugby should focus on building a good aerobic base to help with the dema...
Are there any good ways to loosen up my calves for rugby?
Foam roll and stretch to help loosen up your calves and help them recover in between rugby pract...
What is a good speed test for rugby athletes?
One good linear speed test for rugby is the 40-yard dash. To perform this assessment, have a player ...