Should rugby players do a high number of repetitions with light weight?

When participating in a performance training program the variables such as weight, sets, repetitions, tempo, and rest will change to elicit different physical adaptations. When in a well-designed, progressive program, an athlete might start off performing lighter weight for more repetitions to improve endurance and stability. Once the athlete has ample amounts of stability, usually in four to six weeks, the set and repetition range changes to higher weights with lower repetitions to improve strength. After ample strength is developed, the weight may be lowered again, but the exercises are now done faster and more explosively to enhance power. All of these elements will be important during rugby, so you don't want to train for just one or the other. Just keeping the weight light and completing a number of high repetitions will limit strength gains. Just lifting heavy weights slowly will not maximize power. Starting off using weight that is too heavy or repetitions that are too fast without proper stability can lead to injury. Properly progressing your resistance training program is the best way to enhance rugby performance.

Continue Learning about Rugby

How varied should rugby pre-season training be from in-season?
Pre-season training for rugby should focus on building a good aerobic base to help with the dema...
How much should I train during the rugby pre-season?
When you enter the rugby pre-season, your training focus will change. Practice is typically very int...
How do I strengthen my ankles for rugby?
Strong and stable ankles aid in avoiding a severe sprain during the rugby season. One easy way t...
What is a good hamstring stretch for rugby players?
A great hamstring stretch is the bicep femoris stretch. This stretches the outer part of your hamstr...