What is the role of oxygen in my body?

Dr. Vonda Wright, MD
Orthopedic Surgery
Oxygen is important to every cell in your body. Without it, your cells can’t make energy, and their metabolism is less effective. You switch from a highly efficient energy-making machine to being 16 times less efficient and generating a lot of lactic acid (which is what builds up in your muscles and makes you sore). Without sufficient oxygen, we perform less efficiently.

Continue Learning about Healthy Respiratory System

How can I tell if my lungs are healthy?
To see if your lungs are healthy, try this test: Run up two flights of stairs or walk six blocks...
What is deep abdominal breathing?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
For years, women have practiced slow, patterned breathing techniques to help keep them focus on labo...
What happens when I don’t get enough oxygen?
Pam GroutPam Grout
When you don't get enough oxygen, you literally strangle your cells. It's like putting a noose aroun...
What is the respiratory system?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
The respiratory system is made up of the organs involved in the interchanges of gases, and consi...