What causes residual schizophrenia?

Researchers are still investigating the causes of schizophrenia. The fact that tests such as MRIs and CT scans show differences between the brains of people with schizophrenia and people with normal thought patterns indicates that schizophrenia is a physical disease. Both environmental and genetic factors are linked to developing schizophrenia: having an older father, having a family history of schizophrenia, being exposed to toxic chemicals or certain viruses like the flu before you were born, other prenatal problems such as a lack of oxygen, poor maternal nutrition, taking certain illegal drugs as a teen or young adult, and stress are all risk factors for this disease. Researchers also think that certain brain chemicals play a role in developing schizophrenia, including glutamate and dopamine. Lastly, while stress may not cause schizophrenia directly, it may provoke the first symptoms in someone who is genetically vulnerable to schizophrenia.

Douglas E. Severance, MD
Family Medicine

If you already have one of the other forms of schizophrenia -- paranoid, undifferentiated, or catatonic -- you can develop residual schizophrenia. Genetics, environmental factors, and changes in your brain can cause residual schizophrenia symptoms. Residual schizophrenia is a mental disorder that may cause you to lose interest in life. You may become irritated and stop interacting with people. 

Continue Learning about Residual Schizophrenia

What increases my risk for residual schizophrenia?
There are several risk factors associated with schizophrenia, including residual schizophrenia. Havi...
How is residual schizophrenia diagnosed?
Before someone can be diagnosed with residual schizophrenia, a doctor must make sure that the person...
What are the treatment options for residual schizophrenia?
Charles J. Sophy, MDCharles J. Sophy, MD
If someone with residual schizophrenia is also experiencing depression or anxiety, his/her treatment...
Should my doctor and I discuss my residual schizophrenia symptoms?
People with all types of schizophrenia, including residual schizophrenia, may either not recognize t...