What can I do to make my marriage happier?

Kristin Zeising, PsyD
Sexual Health
There are many things you have control over that can help improve your marriage and create more happiness. First, focus on the things that you find your partner is doing right and comment on them. This reinforces the behavior, and will likely make them feel good about themselves because they are pleasing the one they love.

Second, make sure you spend time nurturing the relationship with your partner by having date nights and time for fun. Life can become overwhelming and stressful with work responsibilities, running the household, and other obligations. We often don't allow time for fun and play like we did when we were younger, and it’s important as a stress reliever and intimacy builder. So carve out time like you would for any other important obligation to keep the positive energy growing.

Finally, write down a list of the behaviors that make you feel loved and have your partner do the same. Exchange the lists so that now it’s not a guessing game as to what your needs are and you can both be successful in showing love and appreciation.
Here are a few tips for helping to make your marriage happier:
  • Spend lots of time alone together. Make time to do things as a couple, not just as a family. It's crucial for rekindling love and affection.
  • When things get tense, tap your sense of humor. Conflicts are inevitable in any marriage, but if you remember to laugh about them, it helps you work through the tension and reconnect.
  • Talk in bed. You might think that's the second-best thing you can do there. But just talking every night in that quiet, intimate setting allows you to bond even more deeply. And it tends to lead to that second-best thing.

Continue Learning about Relationships and Family

The Write Stuff for Your Relationship
The Write Stuff for Your Relationship
The last time many of us wrote in a diary about our love lives, we were probably wearing braces or agonizing over acne. Well, blow off the dust and cr...
Do I want my relationships to be smooth and easy going?
Lisa OzLisa Oz
You can never allow yourself to be complacent because a relationship seems good. Just like living cr...
Is Marriage Good for Your Health? The Answer Is Complicated
Is Marriage Good for Your Health? The Answer Is ComplicatedIs Marriage Good for Your Health? The Answer Is ComplicatedIs Marriage Good for Your Health? The Answer Is ComplicatedIs Marriage Good for Your Health? The Answer Is Complicated
Tying the knot can have its health benefits—but it depends on the quality of your relationship.
How Can I Have a Sexy Date With My Partner?