How can deep conversations increase my happiness?

When you sit down to chat over coffee with a friend, spend a few minutes digging deeper than TV and the weather.

Why? Because doing so just might make you happier. Research shows that when people's socialization focuses on important issues and personal interests, a greater level of personal happiness may be the result.

In the study, a group of college students agreed to let researchers wire them with recording devices that would periodically record short snippets of their conversations over the course of four days. Questionnaires gauged participants' current levels of happiness and life satisfaction. And in reviewing the responses and recordings, researchers found that people who were the happiest had engaged in twice as many deep and meaningful conversations compared to their less happy peers.

Researchers aren't sure if some people are happier because they have more satisfying and meaningful conversations or if happier people are just more likely to dig deep when they converse. Regardless, we know that deep, meaningful social connections are good for you. It adds meaning to life and helps with stress reduction.

Continue Learning about Relationships and Family

What Is the Most Important Tip for a Good Sex Life?
How Do We Manage Privacy Issues When It Comes To Sharing Health Data?
Should I Talk Dirty During Sex?
Should I Talk Dirty During Sex?
What Do Women Want During Sex?
What Do Women Want During Sex?