What is radiation therapy for lymphoma and leukemia?

Radiation therapy (also called radiotherapy) uses high-energy X-rays to destroy leukemia cells, to prevent the cells from spreading and/or to relieve symptoms.

The area treated with radiation therapy and the dose given is based on your specific leukemia diagnosis, including the type of leukemia and your symptoms.

For example, radiation therapy for leukemia may be used to relieve pain or discomfort caused by an enlarged liver or spleen, or swollen lymph nodes. It can also help to treat pain from bone damage caused by leukemia cells growing in the bone marrow. In addition, radiation therapy is sometimes given in low doses just before a stem cell transplant.

Some common radiation treatments used for leukemia patients include the following:
  • External Beam Radiation Therapy
  • Total Body Irradiation (TBI)
  • Total Marrow Irradiation (TMI)
Depending on your individual needs, your leukemia radiation treatments may be combined with other innovative therapies, like immunotherapy and chemotherapy, to prevent the growth of new cancer cells.

Continue Learning about Radiation Therapy For Cancer

Does radiation therapy increase my risk of developing a second cancer?
LIVESTRONGLIVESTRONG
The higher the dose of radiation received, the more risk for developing a second cancer. In gene...
What is a typical course of external beam radiation therapy?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Depending on your type and stage of cancer, a course of external beam radiation therapy treatment us...
How does radiation kill breast cancer cells?
Susan McCloskey, MDSusan McCloskey, MD
Radiation therapy consistently decreases the risk for breast cancer recurrence by about 50% to 70%. ...
How Can Cancer Treatment Affect My Sexual Health?