How is rabies diagnosed?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

No test can diagnose rabies immediately after an animal bite. That is why you should get rabies treatment promptly if you suspect you might have been exposed to rabies, just to be safe. Doctors can diagnose rabies, but only by running several tests on your blood, skin, spinal fluid, and saliva. If a cat, dog, or other low-risk animal bites you, the animal may be observed for 10 days to make sure it's not rabid. Tests can also be run on a dead animal, to see if it was rabid when it bit you.

Continue Learning about Rabies

How is rabies treated?
You must get rabies treatment very soon after you are exposed, before deadly symptoms appear. If you...
How can I tell if an animal has rabies?
Rabid animals may act violent, sick, or simply odd. A warning sign could be a wild animal that doesn...
How do other illnesses affect rabies?
No matter what other illnesses you have, you should get the rabies vaccine if you have been exposed ...
How can I care for someone who has been exposed to rabies?
If you suspect someone has been exposed to rabies-usually through an animal bite-get them medical he...