On average, at what age do people in the U.S. start smoking?

As you might have guessed, most smokers try their first cigarette before they are 18 years old. In the 12-17 age group, the average age of first use is 15.1 years. In the 18-25 age group, the average age of first use is 18.9. This is the reason we urge kids to never start. The younger you are when you first start smoking, the greater your risk for developing nicotine dependence and cancer.
Robert S. Kaufmann, MD

It used to be around 14 or 15, kids trying to be cool or trying to show off for other people.  Most likely people start smoking when they first recognize people around them smoking which is usually their teenage years.

I believe the average age for starting to smoke in the United States is a high school senior, age 18, but the range is from age 12 to age 35.

Joseph I. Miller Jr., MD
Thoracic Surgery (Cardiothoracic Vascular)
Approximately 80-90 percent of smokers start smoking before the age of 18. This can be from social pressure, stigma to be more like adults, or match popular mentors.

Continue Learning about Quit Smoking

What Are You Smoking?
What Are You Smoking?
In addition to highly addictive nicotine, cigarette smoke contains over 4,000 chemicals. Here's what you're inhaling with each puff: Arsenic (rat p...
How can I politely ask someone not to smoke around me?
Ruth White, MPHRuth White, MPH
Say simply, "Smoking is really bad for me, so do you mind smoking where I won’t be affected by your ...
How Tracking Can Help You Quit Smoking—and 5 More Tips to Quit
How Tracking Can Help You Quit Smoking—and 5 More Tips to QuitHow Tracking Can Help You Quit Smoking—and 5 More Tips to QuitHow Tracking Can Help You Quit Smoking—and 5 More Tips to QuitHow Tracking Can Help You Quit Smoking—and 5 More Tips to Quit
Download Sharecare to kick your tobacco habit for good.
What Is the Gold Standard for Eye Care?
What Is the Gold Standard for Eye Care?