What does "blood alcohol level" mean for alcohol poisoning?

The term "blood alcohol level," sometimes also called "blood alcohol content," is simply a measurement of the amount of alcohol in the blood. Police use breath tests to measure blood alcohol levels and evaluate the intoxication of suspected drunk drivers. Doctors use a blood test to check this level in someone with alcohol poisoning. The physical effects of alcohol intoxication grow as a person's blood alcohol level increases. In general, a blood alcohol level of 20 mg/dL to 50 mg/dL represents mild intoxication, while levels of 300 mg/dL to 400 mg/dL can cause unconsciousness, delirium, and death.

Continue Learning about Poisoning

Are Your Grandkids at Risk From Your Meds?
Three generations of Matthews have played in the NFL: Clay Matthews, Sr., played four seasons for the San Francisco 49ers. His eldest son, Clay Matthe...
How should I dispose of a mercury thermometer?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Mercury (sometimes called quicksilver) is a dangerous material. Mercury-glass thermometers are n...
How can I reduce my exposure to environmental hazards?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
Our homes, workplaces, and indoor or outdoor community settings, including our children's schools, m...
Is aluminum harmful?
Aluminum is a metallic element that is found combined with other elements in the earth's crust. It i...