What are the symptoms of paint thinner poisoning?

The symptoms of paint thinner poisoning can vary according to the type of toxic hydrocarbon that enters the body. The amount and the route of entry also influence the type and severity of symptoms. Problems in the digestive tract may include a burning in the mouth, throat, or stomach; vomiting; or diarrhea. The victim may develop a persistent cough, become short of breath, or even appear blue around the lips and extremities. Someone who has absorbed a large amount of a certain type of hydrocarbon could be hard to arouse, lose consciousness, or have seizures.

Continue Learning about Paint Thinner Poisoning

What should I do if I suspect someone has paint thinner poisoning?
If you suspect that a child or anyone else has consumed or inhaled a hydrocarbon, call 1-800-222-122...
Does paint thinner poisoning affect children differently than adults?
About half the cases of paint thinner poisoning involve young children, and certain factors may infl...
How does paint thinner poisoning affect the body?
The airways and lungs are especially vulnerable to paint thinner poisoning. An inhaled hydrocarbon c...
What are the treatment options for paint thinner poisoning?
If the type of hydrocarbon is not likely to cause damage throughout the body, emptying the victim's ...