The symptoms of paint thinner poisoning can vary according to the type of toxic hydrocarbon that enters the body. The amount and the route of entry also influence the type and severity of symptoms. Problems in the digestive tract may include a burning in the mouth, throat, or stomach; vomiting; or diarrhea. The victim may develop a persistent cough, become short of breath, or even appear blue around the lips and extremities. Someone who has absorbed a large amount of a certain type of hydrocarbon could be hard to arouse, lose consciousness, or have seizures.
- Q What should I do if I suspect someone has paint thinner poisoning?
- Q Will I have to manage paint thinner poisoning on a daily basis?
- Q What are the treatment options for paint thinner poisoning?
- Q How do I care for someone following paint thinner poisoning?
- Q Does paint thinner poisoning affect children differently than adults?
- Q What poses the risk of paint thinner poisoning?