How do pain patches work to treat pain?

Pain patches contain different medications inside them; when applied to the skin, they deliver pain relief locally to the area. Watch pain management expert Devi Nampiaparampil, MD, describe the common ingredients and benefits of using pain patches.

Pain patches work to treat pain by transmitting their medicine throught the skin instead of by swallowing or other means. There are a few different types of patches used to treat pain. One type contains an anti-inflammatory similar to ibuprofen. Using the medicine this way decreases some of the side effects such as stomach irritation that may occur by taking a pill. Another type of pain patch is a topical anesthetic similar to Xylocaine which numbs the area, and a third contains narcotic pain medicine.

Continue Learning about Pain Treatment

The Pain-Fighting Power of Saffron
The Pain-Fighting Power of Saffron
Did you know it takes 70,000 to 250,000 purple saffron crocuses to make one pound of the amber-red seasoning (it’s made from dried stigma, the part of...
When should I seek a pain expert?
Benjamin Eseroma Benjamin Eseroma
Anytime you have pain your body is experiencing something like healing or it is not used to it. If y...
How can visualization help me relieve chronic pain?
Rick OldermanRick Olderman
Most chronic pain is the result of years of poor movement habits -- habits that have taken on th...
Help Relieve Pain With Strong Relationships