How much urine typically triggers an urge to empty the bladder?

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine
A healthy adult bladder can hold between 350 milliliters (ml) and 550 ml of urine, which is about one and half to two cups. Most people feel the need to urinate when there is about 200 ml of urine in the bladder, or a little less than one cup.

Continue Learning about Overactive Bladder

How Your Bladder Actually Works
How Your Bladder Actually Works
Learn more about the human bladder and its functions with Sharecare's revolutionary virtual reality technology. Medically reviewed in December 2018.
Should I see my doctor if I think I have overactive bladder?
If you have symptoms of overactive bladder, you should talk to your doctor to get a diagnosis. O...
Can doctors always figure out the cause of overactive bladder?
In some cases of overactive bladder, no apparent cause can be determined. This is known as idiop...
Is Overactive Bladder the Same as Urinary Incontinence?