question

How much urine typically triggers an urge to empty the bladder?

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine
answer
A healthy adult bladder can hold between 350 milliliters (ml) and 550 ml of urine, which is about one and half to two cups. Most people feel the need to urinate when there is about 200 ml of urine in the bladder, or a little less than one cup.

Continue Learning about Overactive Bladder

5 Big Reasons You Pee So Much
5 Big Reasons You Pee So Much
Overactive bladder (OAB) affects approximately 33 million Americans, though the number of people with symptoms is thought to be significantly higher. ...
What Causes Overactive Bladder?
What Causes Overactive Bladder?
An overactive bladder can be caused by drinking too much water, but it can also be a symptom of a urinary tract infection or diabetes. Watch urologist...
Do I Have an Overactive Bladder or Something Else?
If you find yourself having to pee often, planning trips around bathroom access or getting up in the middle of the night to empty your bladder, you ma...
Tips for Living With Overactive Bladder (OAB)
Tips for Living With Overactive Bladder (OAB)Tips for Living With Overactive Bladder (OAB)Tips for Living With Overactive Bladder (OAB)Tips for Living With Overactive Bladder (OAB)
OAB can hurt your social life, mental health and more. Here's how to cope. If you have to urinate frequently and without enough warning, there's a cha...