Where does ovarian cancer begin?

The beginning location of ovarian cancer has eluded doctors. Scientists attempting to track down early cases of ovarian cancer cut apart ovaries that had been removed from the most at-risk women in the country, but didn’t find any early cancers. Some experts think that the reason that early ovarian tumors are hard to find is that the cancer may start in the Fallopian tubes, not the ovaries. If proven, this theory could change the way ovarian cancer is studied, detected, prevented and treated.

Continue Learning about Ovarian Cancer

5 Science-Backed Ways to Lower Your Ovarian Cancer Risk
Approximately 22,000 U.S. women are diagnosed with ovarian cancer each year. But it’s possible to lower your odds of a diagnosis by making certain lif...
What kind of ovarian cancer research is being conducted?
Ovarian Cancer Research Fund (OCRF)Ovarian Cancer Research Fund (OCRF)
Ovarian cancer is the leading cause of death from gynecologic cancers in the United States, and the ...
How is human epididymis protein 4 (HE4) related to ovarian cancer?
David A. Fishman, MDDavid A. Fishman, MD
Human epididymis protein 4 (HE4) is a protein that was first discovered in the distal epithelium...
What Can I Expect After Surgery for Ovarian Cancer?