How do drugs block ovarian cancer from spreading?

To grow and spread, ovarian cancer tumor cells have to duplicate and move. Scientists are studying how to block these cells’ built-in program that allows them to replicate and migrate. For example, blocking Aurora A kinase (a protein that cells need in order to copy themselves and migrate) might stop cancers from spreading and allow certain drugs to work better. Early studies show that a combination of a drug that blocks Aurora A kinase with the cancer drug paclitaxel works better than either drug alone. The drug combination is now in clinical trials with ovarian cancer patients.

Continue Learning about Ovarian Cancer

Ovarian Cancer: Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, Prevention
Ovarian cancer is too often found after it's already reached an advanced stage. “Unfortunately, while screening tests exist for a number of cancers ou...
If I have ovarian cancer can I still have sex?
Dr. Sharyn N. Lewin, MDDr. Sharyn N. Lewin, MD
Stress from your diagnosis and the effects of surgery, chemotherapy and radiation will naturally aff...
What genes may trigger the development of clear cell ovarian cancer?
Ovarian Cancer Research Fund (OCRF)Ovarian Cancer Research Fund (OCRF)
New research based on a mouse model of clear cell ovarian cancer has helped to identify two mutated ...
Where Are We with Early Detection for Ovarian Cancer?