How can I make a mouthpiece fit my mouth?

Often mouthpieces will come with manufacturer’s guidelines for properly fitting the mouthpiece. To custom fit your mouthpiece, it usually involves the following things: a pot of boiling water, tongs, and a beaker of cold water. Place the mouthpiece in the boiling water for approximately 30 seconds. Remove the mouthpiece from the boiling water using tongs and place in the cold water for 1 to 2 seconds (just so it is cool enough to handle). Place mouthpiece in your mouth and bite down for 20 to 30 seconds. Run the mouthpiece under cold water for 20 seconds and then reinsert into your mouth to check fit. If it doesn’t fit, you can repeat the process until you get the optimal fit. (This answer provided for NATA by the Saint Louis University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

What are the benefits of braces?
Katherine T. Vo, DDSKatherine T. Vo, DDS
In addition to the obvious cosmetic improvement of your teeth and smile, straighter teeth are easier...
Can adults use braces to straighten their teeth?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Braces, also called orthodontics, can improve the appearance of teeth in both children and in adults...
How can early orthodontic treatment help my child's self-esteem?
Dante A. Gonzales, DMDDante A. Gonzales, DMD
Early, or Phase I, orthodontic treatment can help correct problems like severe crowding, teeth that ...
What causes crooked teeth and misaligned bites?
Miriam T. FurlongMiriam T. Furlong
You can inherit traits like a small jaw, big teeth, or missing teeth from your parents that can lead...